Sikh Youth Project (SYP) Sydney
Sikh Youth Project is a young generation of professional Sikhs that envision a progressive and positive change within our Glenwood Gurdwara Sahib.
Sikh Youth Project has been endorsed as a sub-committee of the Australian Sikh Association and is independent of any political party.
Our philosophy is to inspire our Sikh Community to live by the three pillars of Sikhism – Nam Japna (meditation on the divine name of Waheguru Ji), Kirt Karna (earning an honest living) and Vand Chhakna (sharing one’s earnings with others, giving to charity and caring for others).
Our aim is to create a platform where our Sikh Youth can feel confident when embarking on a brighter and more meaningful future. We are passionately working towards having a Community where Sikhs may freely practice and enjoy their faith, while fostering strong relations with the entire Australian Community.
We intend to empower our Sikh Youth to become community leaders of tomorrow, and respect and appreciate the multicultural diversity in the Australian Community. The unfortunate focus on money, personal gain and other insignificant issues among our community leadership sets a poor example for our Sikh Youth. We therefore encourage the education and exposure of our Sikh Youth to the basic values of our religion like modesty, humility, wisdom, discipline, philanthropy and truth, so that they develop a passionate and sincere interest in becoming a true Sikh.
We intend to establish an open, accessible, and supportive environment for our Sikh Youth and all of our community to learn about our unique Sikh heritage. We hope to build this environment by creating a strong bond through participation in community activities, volunteer work, and open discussions.
Our goal is to utilise our unique Sikh principles to:
• Promote progressive change in the future direction of Glenwood Gurudwara Sahib, ultimately for the benefit of the entire Sikh Community
• Encourage a democratic faith that treats everyone as equals, regardless of age, gender, and race, and are respectful of the diversity in the broader Australian Community
• Inspire and support the future generation of Sikh Youth, by envisioning and actively pioneering innovative initiatives and projects in the Gurudwara Sahib which are aimed at empowering our Sikh Youth as well as the wider Sikh Community.
Our vision is to make a positive impact in our society by ensuring that our Glenwood Gurudwara Sahib is the focal point for the entire Sikh community, where all individuals and families can gather and flourish by seeking our Guru Ji’s blessings in their lives. We intend to cultivate an inspiring environment of devotion in our Gurdwara Sahib by being guided by the sacred teaching of the Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji and achieving an inner cleansing experience through sitting with the congregation and with selfless seva of the Sadh Sangat.
Sikh Youth Project is established to empower and motivate our youth leaders to work alongside our elders in the Australian Sikh Association Executive Committee to create positive change in our community and more transparency in our Gurudwara Sahib. We intend to create an environment where our Gurudwara Sahib is actively involved in bringing the Sikh Community together and striving to be not only a place of worship, but a place where the Sikh community’s social, religious, spiritual education and cultural development may be fulfilled.
We aim to demonstrate resourcefulness, leadership, transparency and accountability in all our initiatives, so that we can serve the entire community. We also will provide communications, resources and support in the development, management and implementation of all our community projects.
We believe in:
• Youth empowerment that positively changes communities through commitment, active support and adequate resources.
• Pursuing projects for the spiritual, social and economic empowerment of underprivileged members of society.
• Strong and sustainable community solutions that are best achieved by including and honouring the voices of our Sikh Youth.
• Our youth feeling that they can make a difference in the community, through supporting their positive actions that will inevitably improve the morale, confidence, and self-esteem of our Sikh Youth.
• Our community needing result based ideas and action based leadership
• Encouraging the networking between like-minded organisations to establish and nurture meaningful projects to promote harmony, understanding and reciprocity between our Gurudwara Sahib’s in Sydney.
Our fundamental belief is about being open and transparent with everyone, and always focusing on organizing community projects that support the cultural and religious principles of Sikhism.